Wednesday, November 07, 2007

(Stop) Bringing Out the Dead

Yes, I watch Dancing With The Stars. Cheesy, guilty pleasure. But I justify it because I read the newspaper (ALL of it, not just the comics or sports); I watch the news; I watch political talk shows and keep up with current events. All of which makes my head explode so I justify DWTS and US Weekly as my earned treat for being such an informed, unhappy citizen. We all need a little brain twinkie here and there. Rationalization over.

Marie Osmond and Jane Seymour's "Duel of the Dead" must stop. The trotting out of dead relatives in hopes of sympathy votes is tacky. First Jane's mom died. Marie countered by fainting on live television; Jane countered with a home imperiled by fire. Not to be outdone, Marie brought out her thousand-year old dad. Jane hit back with food poisoning. Monday night Jane got tough again by using the dead celebrity friend dedication showing footage of "good friend" (and handily dead guy) Johnny Cash. She and her dancing partner even wore jewelry that once belonged to June and Johnny. Made me wonder if they had been out grave robbing in the previous week instead of practicing. Jane, Jane, Jane...

Marie's father passed Tuesday, or was it Monday night, and that apparently was enough to push her up and over Jane, who was eliminated on Tuesday's results show. Good. I was getting kind of worried for Donny and Jane's kids. After all, there are only so many dead relatives and friends you can use before you need fresh meat. Poor Cheetah girl Sabrina, who was by far the best dancer but was eliminated last week. If only she had some sick or dead relatives to help her out...

No comments: